Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thrift Store Skirt Make Over

I bought this skirt a LONG time ago with intentions of making it into a little top or dress for Lydia. (Like I said, long ago) I realized today that it actually is her size and she could just wear it as is, but what's the fun in that!

I decided to cut off the ruffle and see what happened.

I kind of liked that the lining now hangs past the skirt and gives a double layer look.

I had some turquoise bias tape left over from the gauze baby blankets I made last summer, so I added that to the edge of the skirt. It still needed something......

I have a new stash of gingham in a few pastel colors so I made a small apron from the orange. I had this idea that an apron should have a pocket to be really functional, so I added one of those, too!

Finally, why not add some crazy pom-pom fringe? I got a spool of it at a flea market and it has a ton wrapped around it. What else am I going to do with it?

Lydia has already figured out that her princess doll fit in the pocket perfectly!

Speaking of princesses, the apron reminds Lydia of Cinderella, BEFORE the ball. Here she is, princess dolls in pocket, apron attached, pretending to clean the playhouse before someone locks her in the tower! Play cloths as inspiration for play! Not a bad way to spend a day.

No comments: